Culinary Career Makers

Des'Mariah Jones, Editor/Reporter

It is every chef’s dream to be world renowned and acknowledged for the food that they cook. This is a dream for William Pettaway, senior at Murphy High School. Born and raised in the South, Mobile, Alabama to be specific, Pettaway grew up around family members with a taste for food.

“I joined Hospitality and Tourism in the 10th grade already knowing I wanted to be a chef,” Pettaway says.

He watches television shows like “Chopped” and dreams of moving to Los Angeles to make big money as a cook. The question is, how will he get there?

Pettaway tells us, “I plan to get my Associates degree at Bishop State before transferring to South Alabama to get my Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts.” Growing up with his mom and dad sparked his passion for food and besides making eggs benedict and pasta, one thing he learned from Chef Round is “If it’s your goal, reach it.”

It has been a tradition in William Pettaway’s family to never give up on what you want to do and he hasn’t stopped yet.

1 Comment

One Response to “Culinary Career Makers”

1. stuart knaps on September 12th, 2017 7:57 pm

I went to murphy in late 70s and dropped out.Got a job as a dishwasher at the Pillars on govt st. with help of master chef Phillipo Milone I became a certified executive chef and haveworked in the industry for over 30 years.So from one panther to another work hard and anything is possible.God Speed

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Culinary Career Makers