Walking Out for the Voiceless

India Cherry, Staff Reporter

On March 14, 2018 at 10:30 A.M. students at Murphy High School walked out of class for 17 minutes to honor the 17 lives that were taken at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The purpose of the walkout was to shed a light on gun violence, mental health care, and how both affects students. The walk out was organized by 10 Murphy students: seniors, Tiffany Trotter, Johannass Soekhies; sophomores, Chloe Duran; Nat Trejo; Amin Mantouzi; Galina Sawyer and freshmen, Nash Boone; Emanii King; Gary Duran; Laila Pettaway. The organizers read the names of all 17 people who were killed in the Parkland school shooting. Five of the organizers read poems honoring those who were slain, stated why the protest was organized and what the protest represented while students stood in the horseshoe area in front of the school.

Each of the students who had a part in organizing this walk out shared why they wanted to organize the protest  and what the protest meant to each of them. Galina Sawyer organized

protest because she is scared that a mass shooting will happen at Murphy. Sawyer stated, “Going to school is kind of scary. When I go into a classroom, one of my first thoughts is ‘where will I hide’. It’s always on my mind.” Sawyer feels that this movement is important because she believes the lives of high school students are in danger. Sawyer expressed that a gunman could show up to the school at any moment and start firing a gun. Chloe Duran stated the protest is important because laws that were put in place to protect students are not being enforced, therefore if the lawmakers will not do something about gun and student safety then people need to stand up and make their voices heard. Chloe said “Since the 1999 Columbine High School shooting, the high school epidemic has been on the rise in America and there’s nothing being done about it. Every day the death toll rises.”

Murphy High School student organizers will be furthering their movement by holding a march at Public Safety Memorial Park on March 24, 2018 from 1pm until 3pm. This rally is sponsored by the March for Our Lives movement that is spreading around the country. The event will be attended by people giving speeches, volunteers helping with voter registration, and protesters bearing signs.  All citizens are encouraged to attend.

Maurice Robinson and Anthony Lewis are supporting the victims of the Parkland shooting.